We have had backups in place for a while, using the main Windows 2003 server and an external WD 1.5TB USB connected disk and DirSync which runs nightly and sends any new files in our main directories to the USB disk.
This is an ok, better-than-nothing but not shockproof system.
I have decided to integrate two projects into one:
1. Create a backup system for our local network
2. De-commission and remove our single remaining Windows server (W2003)
What do we need to backup?
- Digital photos and scanned photos going back to 1996
- Slow growing
- Hours of person time to rip and catalog
- Fast growing
- email Local folders, personal documents, household finances
- Medium growing
- Local copies of OS archives, applications, etc.
- Does not grow; new replace old retaining 2-3 versions